ConVirgins Journalists

Thursday, July 06, 2006

4th of July in the Nation's Capitol

Celebrating the 4th of July in D.C. is like a giant citywide party where people who are usually fighting with one another, i.e. Republicans and Democrats, can put aside their differences and drink beers together and light off fireworks. If you ever get the chance to celebrate the 4th in D.C., I recommend it. Here is a chronicle of my day, which was pretty crazy actually.
8 a.m.-10 a.m.-- Went for a nice little run around G-town where people were already starting to barbeque and kids were running around with American flags. I even ran by a parade which was kind of strange because I think some of the people thought I was in the parade and they started to cheer me on as I ran. I sort of gave them that half parade wave back like you see Homecoming Queen's give as they ride in a Mustang down the street. I felt special.
10:15 a.m.-- Took a shower. That's Hot!
11:00 a.m.-- Went to Best Buy and bought a keyboard. That's right I am going to relearn how to play the piano and since I can't pay for a piano (I have an unpaid internship people) I decided on getting a keyboard. Actually, I still remember how to play Mary Had a Little Lamb and O Christmas Tree, which I thought was pretty good since I haven't played since I was 12.
2:00 p.m.-- Headed down to the National Mall with one of my fellow interns where we were supposed to meet up with other interns until it started pouring --again. Apparently the apocalypse is going down because I've never seen this much rain in my life. I am so sick of rain that now I know how Noah felt.
2:25 or something like that-- Escaped the rain and found a bar that had the Germany vs. Italy match on. Drank a few beers and pop pop called it day once my team Italy, (I am half Italian which might explain my love for garlic cheese bread and The Godfather movies) came out victorious. I will be rooting for the Italians when they take on those dirty Frenchmen on Sunday.
5:00 p.m.-- Bought some Miller Lite at a local convenience store where some Arabic guy said “enjoy your 4th of July” and then winked at me. I thought that was sort of strange at the time.
6:00 p.m.-- Went to a fellow interns casa where we ate fajitas and ate cheeps and cheese dip. Yes, true Americans. Nothing says red, white and blue like Mexican food. OK, I’m from California where that would make more sense.
6:30 p.m.-- Took two Tequila shots
6:31 p.m.-- Felt like throwing up
6:35 p.m.-- Took another Tequila shot
6:38 p.m -- Sat down and stared at the television for the next hour
8:00 p.m.-- Went to the National Mall to watch the fireworks. Ran into people wearing George Bush masks who were trying to light themselves on fire. They were not successful.
9:00 p.m.-- Fireworks start. Best fireworks show I have ever seen. During the show there was a full orchestra playing famous American songs. It was also great because the tequila shots started to wear off.
9:45 p.m.-- Tried to find funnel cake. Was not successful.
10:30 p.m.-- Went to random intern party. Drank 4 Miller Lites on a roof that overlooked the city while lighting off sparklers. That was cool!
11:30 p.m.-- Took the metro home which was filled with drunk people, or passed out people. Felt like eating funnel cake once again. Couldn't find any.
12:00 a.m.-- ????

The next day at work was not very fun. I was hung-over all day which made it very difficult to create a timeline on Kenneth Lay's life. Did you know that Lay is a proud grad of Missouri? I am sure glad that MU has had such proud alumni as Lay and Sam Walton. Why don't we just give the CEO of Starbucks an honorary degree to complete the triefecta of corporate greed? Well until next time, enjoy life and don't let the man get you down. Peace.

1 Comments:

  • Don't dis Starbucks.

    <3,

    Your favorite Seattlite.

    P.S. My little verification funny looking letters spell: kegfumz
    Ha!

    By Blogger TraciMac, at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home